Tuesday, October 25, 2011

When I hit the brakes they vibrate a lot. Whats wrong with my car?

This is a new development. My cars a 91, so it's pretty old and has problems from time to time. Now when I hit the brakes they vibrate a lot, and sometimes the steering wheel shakes too. I had my front brakes replaced a couple months ago, and the car brakes fine, other than this. Do you know whats wrong? And about how much it might cost to fix it?

Thanks in advance.When I hit the brakes they vibrate a lot. Whats wrong with my car?Did they just put pads in or did they machine the rotors. If they machined the rotors take it back to them and have them redo the machining. The rotor my be under sized and need to be replaced. Undersized rotors will not dissipate heat fast enough and go out of round.If they did not machine the rotors have that done . Have them check the thickness they could be under sizedWhen I hit the brakes they vibrate a lot. Whats wrong with my car?Your tires need to be balanced. Should cost about $50When I hit the brakes they vibrate a lot. Whats wrong with my car?Warped or cracked brake rotors.When I hit the brakes they vibrate a lot. Whats wrong with my car?Probably either warped rotors (do you %26quot;left foot brake%26quot;?) or brake fluid on the pads, either way you need a brake shop service right away!When I hit the brakes they vibrate a lot. Whats wrong with my car?could bee ball joints or tie rod ends...get to front end shop quick...but drive slow...When I hit the brakes they vibrate a lot. Whats wrong with my car?Since you had the front brakes replaced already (my first guess) I'll make a wild guess that the brake lining has come loose from the backing. In other words, the brake material has fallen off the new brake pad. So you have metal-on-metal when you apply the brakes. That's causing the vibration. A lot of disc pads are 'bonded' (glued) and they do sometimes come off.When I hit the brakes they vibrate a lot. Whats wrong with my car?One thing we do know is that your car is not a Ford! No way it would have lasted this long!When I hit the brakes they vibrate a lot. Whats wrong with my car?you hit the brakes, and a whole lot of shakin goes in?

warped rotors, out of round brake drums, misshapen breake shoes or padsectWhen I hit the brakes they vibrate a lot. Whats wrong with my car?Your rotors are warped. You may be able to have them %26quot;turned%26quot; (ground down to even them out again). But if they are too warped you need new or you can get used ones for cheaper from a salvage.



The usual cause of this is cheap break pads. They get too hot and actually warp the metal rotor. The rotor is simple a disk the pads press against to stop the car, kinda like the hand breaks on a bike.



If you just had them replaced, take it back to where you had them done and have them fix it. Tell them they are responsible because they used cheap pads...When I hit the brakes they vibrate a lot. Whats wrong with my car?rotor problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment