Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Could i convert the brakes on my trek 820 to disc?

I am having to replace my rear wheel anyways so I was wondering how much more it would actually take to convert the brakes over to discs. what all would be involved and about how much would it cost me compared to just replacing the rim? Thanks!Could i convert the brakes on my trek 820 to disc?I assume that the frame has the appropriate disc mounts... if it doesn't you can't readily swap to discs.



Anyway, since you have to replace the rear wheel you could purchase one with a disc hub then buy a mechanical disc brake setup... maybe something from Avid. Figure $70 for the caliper and disc plus the cost of the wheel and the swap.



If you were in my shop I would advise against having a disc on the rear only. If you wanted only one disc it should be on the front. Why? The front wheel should take care of 70% of your braking needs while the rear brake is for control. If this doesn't quite sound like how you use brakes then perhaps it is a better idea to save the money and practice using the front brake as it was meant to be... forget the horror stories of flipping over the handlebars... they are true only if you aren't riding to the bikes fullest potential.Could i convert the brakes on my trek 820 to disc?you cant. Treks tend to break in half when they get disc brakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment