Friday, June 3, 2011

Telling the difference between ATE and Akebono Brakes?

I'm planning on replacing my rotors, pads on my 02 Grand Cherokee with products from EBC. Just need to know how to tell the difference between the brakes to order the right replacements.Telling the difference between ATE and Akebono Brakes?The akebonos can be directly swapped to replace the ate's. No mod's needed. Jeep did this due to the complaints on the brake pulse/shudder problems.



Dont worry about what you have on the Jeep just get the akebonos. Jeep stopped using the ate's due to problems with design, although I think your 02 is new enough to get th akebonos from the factory anyhow.



I had an ate seize on me last month and you can bet your a$$ I got the akebono's now.Telling the difference between ATE and Akebono Brakes?akebono usually is a silver caliper that is double pistoned. it is this way because there was a big issue with the original setup on some of those with vibration while braking. the dealer sold upgraded (akebono) calipers which were silver in color. check the local oriellys and ask them which pad number goes with which. I think its fmsi pad number md792 for original equipment. i think there was a fmsi 900 series pad for the upgrade. either way they will know which pad goes with which system. compare the new pads off the shelf to the ones on your truck to verify. they are shaped differently. once you match the pads on your truck to the new ones that will tell you which system you had.



ps



I thought they bolted up the same but I could be wrong.

by the way.... personal experience as a automotive professional tells me that akebono is top shelf stuff. why are you trying to modify. if you are just installing pads... I thought that is what ebc makes dont be fooled by all the colorful stuff. brake pads are all made in a few factories and everyone buys them from there. Brake systems that work well and are designed based on mechanically sound principles need only be set up correctly. all that other stuff is usually just a somebodys way of selling folks that dont know better a well dressed hog.

a good set of brake best select pads for your truck will perform just as well as the other stuff for less cash if the rest of the system is set up correctly.





good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment